Sunday, June 24, 2007

Those Bastards!


Saw the Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash at the Zoo Bar on Monday night. Miz K's the one who turned me on to them a couple of years ago (that's her with the lead singer,). Dang! they were good, even better than last time we saw them. They didn't play "Viva Las Vegas," but they more than made up for it later. We had a great time meeting the band after the show.


This is Vance (and Elvis). Vance is very cool. Vance is very sweet. Vance lives in Austin.

Did I mention we had a really great time?

------------

Washington Post: Teen tests Internet's lewd track record

Stories like this infuriate me. This is a strong, talented, focused young athlete.

She also happens to be attractive. This is not the most important thing about her.

But someone snaps a photo of her in action and suddenly she has to fend off every perv in the blogosphere. And, even worse, it obscures what she *should* be getting noticed and celebrated for.

------------


Another pot combination I really like; the photo doesn't do it justice.

The pots look great, but the garden beds seem a little wilty under the hot weather of late. I'm impatient for everything to fill in and grow tall and look as I can envision it will when mature. I suspect I won't be here to see it through.

------------

I've painstakingly gone through past posts and deleted some references. Trying to keep private life and work life very, very separate. Let me know if you see anything else I should delete/edit in that vein ... ask me privately if you don't know wtf I'm talking about ...

------------

Currently reading: "Mexican Days: Journeys into the Heart of Mexico" by Tony Cohan

Currently listening: The Best of Chuck Brown

------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to the young lady track star is scary for a couple of reasons: The obvious unwanted and twisted publicity, but it happened when legitimate web publication’s photo was pirated – just like that.
William

BlankPhotog said...

This demonstrates the power of publicity. The internet was the vehicle for the photo going beyond a local audience - each human link along the chain was the medium (and consumer) of exploitation. My feeling is that until we get to the point where we can require embedded permission from photo or video subjects for use of their image, rather than imply same from context or status (that whole taken in public thing) we're going to have a hard time dealing with this. Because these days, if you're out in public, someone may take and post your picture and your options are few and costly if you're not cool with that. Oh, and if you post your own picture or other info up... bon chance, mon ami.