Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I'm a badass.

Cyclone-force winds are shaking the windows and rattling the blinds, so much so I can barely hear the stereo 5 feet away. "Gusts to 50 mph" -- surely this constant gale counts as more than a "gust."

And yet, staring down brute nature, I am an Amazon. Rode home in the face of it (walked to work this morning, as I'd left the bike downtown after Jazz in June) and was only fazed a couple of times. Did briefly think it was going to get blown right out from under me on 11th Street.

But I don't plan to tempt fate again tomorrow.

I'm committed to riding to work at least once a week; so far this week, I've commuted solely under my own power (save hitching a ride home with Miz K last night). It's a bit addictive, actually. I start thinking things like, if I pack my clothes then I can still wear skirts to work. If I walk one day a week, it's a day I don't have to work out. ...

Hope this ill wind doesn't blow all the fat new buds off the clematis vine.

Now to start Barbara Kingsolver's new book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life" -- I'm writing a review.

------------

Anyone wanna lay bets on how long it'll take Dubya to pardon his buddy Scooter? Anyone? There's a free T-shirt in it for you ...

------------

PS: MizNealy, thanks for the call and I'll hit you back tomorrow! Crazybusy day at work today ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. My yoga teacher told us about that book and I went right out and bought it. I've just gotta finish some of the books piling up on my nightstand first. I haven't completed a book in so long it seems. Biking? I'm still working on it.

Hope to hear from you manana :-)

Krista said...

you are an amazon! so awesome you bested the winds on the ride home. the continued ferocity of the winds makes me wonder....if a storm isn't blowing in, are these what we'd call "winds of change"? hmmm.

BlankPhotog said...

It was a dusty wind last night! I'm trying to get back to my 3-4 bikes to work or downtown every week, on top of the crazy rides.

The only wind of change is the one we blow on ourselves. Kind of a bootstrap thing...

And along those lines I'd tell Scooter, "Go pardon yourself."

Anonymous said...

Biking in that wind? Woah! I was a passenger on a plane yesterday and though that was hard work; but YOU rock!

You'll have to let me know what you think of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I'm a Barbara Kingsolver fan but her recent work (Prodigal Spring, and Small Wonders) leaves me in need of a nudge to read the latest.

Anonymous said...

Doh! Prodigal Spring. Kingsolver wrote no such book. I meant Prodigal Summer.

Prodigal Spring would be some brain child of Barbara Kingsolver and Rachel Carson. Now, there's a book I wouldn't need a nudge to read.

Lincoln Writer said...

Miz MM! You've been on my to-call list forever. We need to set another play date. "Prodigal Summer" was *such* a lovely read (yes, Bookstore Maven, even if the romance was more than a bit contrived). The interconnectivity of it all ...

as for winds of change: I keep blowing on myself, but nothing happens. Well, almost nothing. ;-)