Thursday, June 14, 2007

Rhymes with Becki.


Today was the anniversary of the government crackdown that led to last summer's massive protests in Oaxaca. May it not happen again this year.

I dream of going back.

------------

Trudy Rubin is another of my living heroes. This column is the most astute I've read yet on the current troop surge v. insurgency in Iraq.

------------

Somehow the conversation at work this afternoon latched onto my desire to have a beer named after me -- a la Sweaty Betty.

"Huh," Aimee said. "Nothing really rhymes with Becki, does it?"

(Duh ... this is why I have no song named after me, either ... and yet Cinnamon gets two? Unfair!)

Blechy Becki was the first suggestion. Simultaneously unappetizing and unflattering.

Necky Becki ... with a particularly long neck. Possibly hits a bit closer to home.

My favorite: Flecky Becki. It would definitely have glitter involved somehow.

Note to Miz K: Must get Mark on this ASAP.

-------------

8 comments:

Krista said...

I'll bet you a beer that there is a song about "Becki" out there somewhere. And Mark has already found a water-tolerant edible glitter....but will it work in beer? only one way to find out!

Krista said...

hey! just as i thought. there is a song for you. and it's titled "Becki's Song". gotta love iTunes. it's downloading right now....and you owe me a beer!

Lincoln Writer said...

Well, who the hell knew? Certainly not me. Thanks, love!

Great ride in Wilderness today ...

Anonymous said...

Why do beer names have to rhyme?
Fetching Becki, or, Becki’s Tipple.

William

BlankPhotog said...

Trekkie Becki?

Azteckie Becki?

Frecklie Becklie?

Bach-ie Becki?

As for songs... I think someone should just up and write one about you, not about your name. Now that's a bloggin' challenge!

Lincoln Writer said...

Scott, yours are the best! I like 'em all.

And the challenge is on.

pohl said...

/FUN-ken-tel-ECH-ee/ Becky.

(a Parliament tune)

pohl said...

except with an i