Saturday, June 9, 2007

Organic? Maybe not.

-----------

USDA may relax standards for organic foods
Los Angeles Times, June 9

So now, thanks to the USDA (and our own Mike Johanns), we'll have no idea whether food labeled "organic" is actually free of pesticides, antibiotics, food colorings and other fun extras.

"Under the agency's proposal, as much as 5% of a food product could be made with these ingredients and still get the 'USDA organic' seal," the LA Times writes.

A quote from the article:

"This proposal is blatant catering to powerful industry players who want the benefits of labeling their products 'USDA organic' without doing the work to source organic materials," said Ronnie Cummins, executive director of the Organic Consumers Assn. of Finland, Minn., a nonprofit group that boasts 850,000 members.

My advice: Don't buy "organic" from Wally World expecting to get anything other than Monsanto products with targeted packaging. Buy, instead, from your local co-op. Ask questions -- is the lettuce local? What do they know about this brand? A local, small store, with a manager who actually orders the products you see on the shelves, is going to be able to tell you where it comes from and what, exactly, that "organic" label means. And is far more likely to make sure "organic" means what its customers want it to mean.

-----------

In food news closer to home, Arturo's has suddenly closed -- as in, not only did they not let their longtime customers know, they didn't give their employees or landlord any advance notice, either.

True, the food was neither really Mexican nor really good. But it was comfort food (i.e., cheese), and it was a Lincoln institution. I've been eating tachas since I came to college more than 20 (egads) years ago. Krista and I used to eat there regularly enough that we had our own waitress. Stephanie worked two jobs and is singla mama to two kids. I worry about her getting the rug pulled out from under her so suddenly.

When I was still new to Lincoln and my now ex-husband was wooing me, we went to the Taco Hut every Wednesday. He was such a regular that they put his dinner on the grill as soon as they saw him come in the door. Dickie had a new joke for us every week, and Art would come over and schmooze with us. It felt like community; it's one of those things that has made Lincoln feel like home to me.

I hate that the city basically killed Art's way back when they cleared Block 35. Despite several incarnations, they never completely bounced back. I'm sad they're gone -- but I'm also angry about how they've gone.

------------

I have a week's vacation Aug. 19. I'm thinking of doing this -- a volunteer vacation to help restore habitat on Mount Hood in Oregon. A cheap vacation -- airfare and food -- the chance to be outdoors with other cool people and do something good in this world.

And I'm canoeing the Dismal the weekend before that. Don't worry -- the friends I'm going with do know what they're doing.

-------------

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But I loved Arturo's. Jeremy and I were talking about driving to Lincoln in a few weeks and I was so looking forward to stopping there for a meal. Last time I was crushed when my friend told me Jerusalem Cuisine was closed. Now Arturo's. Tell me The Oven and Lazlo's are still there. Such good eats. That probably explains why my butt grew so enormous when I lived there. Although that doesn't help in explaining why it continues to grow.

My yoga teacher was talking about co-ops the other week in class. Hmmm. You've given me a story idea.

Krista said...

Amen sister Becki! Amen to it all.

BlankPhotog said...

Arturo's was such an anomaly. Before La... whateverit'scalled came in, they were the only upscale-ish Mexicano restaurant downtown... then, not so much.

I loved the decor at their Haymarket location. I hope their employees do OK. But I hadn't been there for years.

I'm an Oso Burrito guy.