Thursday, February 22, 2007

Who knows me better ...

... than the Subversive Used Bookstore maven? Said she had a funny little thing for me. "Is it a man?" I asked. "Well, kinda," she answered, in her enigmatic way. So Miz K and I stopped by last night for wine-fueled gossip. "Close your eyes," Miz Maven said, and she laid this little tidbit into my open palm.


The perfect man. I can read him like a book, and keep him in my pocket.

---------------

It smells like spring.

Earthy and moist and sweet and ready. Oh, and the sunshine makes it feel even warmer than it is. And that it's still light, a bit, when I leave the office ... A taste of sunshine really can change my mood 180 degrees.

Play hooky today, even for just half an hour. Get out, smell it, feel it, live it today, before the next storm hits this weekend.

It's just a taste of what's to come. We've braved another winter, and yes spring is only teasing us now, hiding behind the bedroom door, prettying herself up, but she's nearly ready and when she is she'll burst that door open wide, grab us by the collar, fling us down on the bed and show us what's what.

--------------------

Won't get fooled again. (?)


-- edited for content --

This is dated, but screw it; a rant is in order. Trudy Rubin's piece last week about the similarities in U.S. policy between Iraq and Iran is right on target. I keep hearing the bushites on the radio, saying, Absolutely, we do not want to engage Iran; we are doing everything possible to settle their nuclear problems diplomatically.

Which sounds, to me, like: Get ready, America -- we're about to engage Iran.

(With what forces, though, I wonder; our military reserves are already stretched like the skin across Joan Rivers' face.)

And reminds me very much of the days, in late '02, when the administration was assuring us it was doing everything it could to avoid war in Iraq, that any "engagement" (what an ironic word, so matrimonial) would come only as a last resort. Over and over they said it ... and it was so easy to lick a thumb and forefinger, turn the page, and find the phrasing turned to past tense: "We've tried and tried, but we've exhausted all other options."

Remember?

We have to remember. We have to watch as they use the same damn playbook to try and fake us out again. We have to watch and speak out and keep speaking out. We have to make Molly Ivins proud and "raise some hell."

--------------------

More fodder for outrage

If you have HBO, tonight at 8:30 you can watch a new documentary on how the whole Abu Ghraib debacle was allowed to happen.

Since I don't have HBO, so let me know if it's any good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a man like that.

Lincoln Writer said...

He's available at your local subversive used bookstore.

Anonymous said...

Yup and that's probably about the only place he'd be. Menfolk. Ugh. Why do I love them so?