Tuesday, March 27, 2007

"We're on two wheels, baby."*

------------
Well, we were on two wheels.

First, here's Miz JezeBelle, in all her (mostly) virgin glory:


Purdy, huh? Short like me (she's only 14" ... the smallest "adult" bike available); cushy like me (80mm RockShox); and so light that even uphills feel like we're flying. I can't believe the difference a lighter frame and narrower handlebars make ... and the thinner tires really help with the speed, too, yet plenty sturdy enough for the creekbeds in Wilderness.

We broke her cherry gently, with a leisurely Saturday afternoon ride on the Rock Island.

Then, on Sunday, we headed out to Pioneers Park to give the trails a real workout. Six of us: Me and JezaBelle, Miz K on Suzette, and the juggler with his Rockhopper.

Here's what happened, only about a mile and a quarter out:

That snap you see near the elbow? That's what we call a displaced olecranon.

It's Miz K's story to tell, not mine ... we all went down, but she took the brunt of it.

Surgery on Thursday, to install pins and a cable. They call it an "open reduction internal fixation," which sounds kind of dirty to me. Suzette's gonna be lonely for awhile.

Throw some love Miz K's way, eh?

------------
I wish I had the fortitude to live off the grid ... create my own energy (wind, solar), recycle my graywater, eschew all paper and plastic products ... but stories like The Year Without Toilet Paper just serve to remind me how much more I could do.

This family's recording a year's attempt to live without using paper, creating trash, participating in carbon emissions or purchasing anything but food -- and only organic food grown within 250 miles.

Here's his blog: No Impact Man

And a couple of similar practitioners:
Tree Hugger
Green as a Thistle


I need to not give up because I'm not (yet?) so hardcore. Instead, look to people like this for ideas I can practice in my own life, and keep adapting ...

Starting with: Does anyone know anyone who has a push/reel mower I could try out? I'd like to see if I have the muscle mass to push one effectively before I buy one myself.

------------
If you happen to be in upstate New York on Friday evening, check this out: A party to comemmorate the devil's last 666 days in office.

And here's an easy way to thank the 10 representatives who voted against throwing another $100 million at an unjust, un-"winnable" war. This ain't a quagmire anymore -- it's a full-blown sinkhole. At this point, there's absolutely nothing the U.S. can do to improve the situation; even if the violence is temporarily brought under control in Baghdad, it's just going to pop up elsewhere -- like an ugly, deadly game of Whack-A-Mole.

Our very presence is causing a good portion of the violence. We need to get out and let the U.N. get in.

------------
Quote of the day:
"That's almost as bad as a mosquito bite in the crack of your ass." -- Miz K

*Song of the day:
"Bicycle Bicycle You Are My Bicycle," Be Your Own Pet

------------

5 comments:

BlankPhotog said...

D-Day is F-day, as I just posted where you won't look... I have a bike and I'm not afraid to ride it! So, care to sometime soon? :)

Lincoln Writer said...

If a birthday notice is posted where no one can find it, how will you get birthday drinks?

Let's ride!

Anonymous said...

I want that picture.
William

Anonymous said...

I am inspired to get my bike down from its winter dangle from the garage ceiling (who am I kinding; she dangles beyond winter). Now let's hope and pray I don't break my arm (or something worse) just pedaling around the corner.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I leave comments and they don't show up. Am I doing something wrong? And now I can't remember what I said, although I'm sure it was deep and meaningful. Unlike this rant.