Thursday, March 22, 2007

Damn. I like bananas.

Read Amy Goodman's column about Chiquita paying off FARC militants in Colombia.

Then read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" for a heartbreaking, poetic look at the corporation's age-old practice of ruining lives and ways of life and entire villages in Central America. (Bonus: Butterflies flying out of mouths and other magic realism).

Then buy your bananas from your friendly corporate-free, farmer-friendly, organic co-op.

-------------

What I've been reading: "The Post-Birthday World," Lionel Shriver
What I've been hearing: "Gbeda Authentic," Kola Gbedu Ogunkoya

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't like bananas. But growing up with S.C. farmers for grandparents and frequenting the farmstands in Jersey, I'm all for everything organic and locally grown. Our stands suck here. Damn city suburbs.