Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Changing minds, one 8-year-old at a time.

-- edited for content --

My niece Emma, aka The Divine Miss Em (does anyone get that but me? I wonder), calls to ask how many boxes of Girl Scout cookies I wish to order. Note that: Not whether I want to place an order, but how big an order I wish to place. Is it too cheesy to say she's one smart cookie?

I confirm that I've burned some more Diana Krall CDs for her (beware the grade-schooler who's already into torch singers!), and we make a lunch date for Saturday so I can pass them on to her before I leave on my trip.

"To ***!" she says.

That's right.

"***'s a bad place."

Who told you that?

"I just know it. Somebody told me. My teacher told me."

We discuss. Yes, there are some bad things happening in ***, but there are good things, too. Yes, there are animals. Zebras? I don't know. Tigers? I think so. Eight-year-old girls, definitely. I promise to bring back visual documentation. And I volunteered to speak to her class, because whatever I bring back I mean to show her teacher, or whoever told her ***'s a "bad place," the one lesson we are meant to learn in this life -- that we are all far more alike than we are different.

Do I need to learn PowerPoint to talk to a roomful of second-graders?

------------------------

Quote of the day: (yep, they're back!)

“In the particular is contained the universal.” – James Joyce

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PowerPoint? I don't know. I've never heard of anyone that young listening to Diana Krall...I didn't listen to her until after college. I feel so unsophisticated.

As for widening our global minds, totally what one of my best friends and I talked about on the phone today. Geez, once I got started I surprised myself in hearing how passionate I am about it.

KristaJoy said...

there of several of us out here that do get the "Divine Miss M"....don't make me karaoke "The Rose" okay?