Sunday, July 15, 2007

Good chick, bad chick.

Our favorite local ice-cream goddess Miz Amy made NPR's "Weekend Edition" !!! You can read/listen to her here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11980712

The gist of the story is how dairy prices (among many other things) are going up because the demand for ethanol is driving up grain prices. Corn is far from the most efficient way to make ethanol, anyway.

Every time I drive (or, this morning, bike) past a cornfield, I wonder how many people we could be feeding if we weren't concentrating on ethanol and animal feed.

Go give Amy some love and treat yourelf to Ivanna Cone today!

------------

Thanks to yesterday's venture outside my natural habitat (I got groceries at the HyVee in the Stepfordurbia that is Williamsburg), I now have a terrible, terrible noise stuck inside my head.

If I were to make a mix list titled Songs That Have No Business Existing, "My Baby Takes the Morning Train" would be the intro, and maybe the outro as well. Bad enough that this pablum of a melody ever passed for popular music in the first place, but have you ever listened to the damn message? I remember when this stupid song came out ... even then, my barely pubescent self found it ridiculous to celebrate seeing your man off to work so he can buy you pretty baubles and take you dancing, while you just daydream about him all day. Snap out of the daydream, Sheena -- get a job and buy your own damn baubles!

This wasn't back in the 1950s, btw. This was the '80s! We were still hearing these messages when I was growing up, in the supposed heyday of feminism. (Today, of course, is so much better. Women of song lyrics no longer lie around waiting for their men to bring home the bacon ... their men are pimping them out as ho's and beeyotches ... )

Ugh! I can't get it out of my head! Damn you, HyVee and Sheena Easton! Damn your bland pop sensibilities!

------------

2 comments:

Moda di Magno said...

He works from nine to five and then...OMG - this will never leave my head. Thanks...

Krista said...

so...is that song better or worse than having the Flinstone's theme song stuck in your head?