Saturday, December 15, 2007

Does it snow in Africa?


On Kilimanjaro, sure, but I'm betting it doesn't wherever I'm going. Which is good. I've shoveled at least four times in the past two weeks -- and I lazily ignored a couple of other "opportunities." This morning it was a good four inches ... and still coming down steadily.

Finally had a couple of little meltdowns this past week over all the Peace Corps paperwork. It's been such a struggle to collect -- over the past two months I've been to eight clinics, averaging 1.75 visits per clinic, plus countless phone calls, cajoling, mistakes, wine spills, etc. Even I'm tired of hearing myself whine about it.

Last week I got a glimpse of what it's all gonna cost me, too. (Tip: No matter how healthy you are now, never, ever take the high-deductible insurance plan.) And this week, my pap smear did indeed come back with "atypical" cells. Nothing serious, more than likely, but hard not to worry. And all I can do is wait.

It's all brought my emotions pretty close to the surface lately. But there've been ups as well as downs. I discount neither. More of each to come, I'm sure. Hang in there with me.

------------

Still in a food coma from last night. We celebrated Miz Amy's birthday with sushi at the unfortunately named O'Yummy. It's better than it sounds, though of course you takes yer chances with sushi in landlocked Nebraska.

Sure wish I'd had my camera, not only to capture the glowing birthday girl, but to capture the neon signs out front: "Sushi bar" right next to "Tackle Shop." For real.

Now the Bookstore Maven, Miz Meleeska and I are off to brave the snow and have lunch at Sher-E-Punjab. At this rate, Santa will have to bring me new pants for Christmas!

------------

Quote of the day:

"Find your place on the planet, dig in, and take responsibility from there."

— Gary Snyder

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go to your doctor if he serves you wine. Did he give you more after you spilled it?
William

Lincoln Writer said...

Actually, you HAVE gone to the same doctor. And shame on you for assuming a gender!

Sadly, though, the wine spill was hers, and on her own time, not during a session. I think a little cocktail would help make any doctor's visit better, don't you?

Krista said...

Sushi and Sher-E-Punjab all in one weekend. Wow. I'm totally jealous!