Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ice capades.


A week ago, when my sister-in-law mentioned she needed a second adult to take a group of Girl Scouts ice skating, I enthusiastically volunteered. Then I remembered that the last time I went ice skating, I was younger than these 8-year-olds ... and it was on double-bladed skates. I was sure I'd spend the day gripping the railing, the evening nursing my bruises.

To my surprise, ice skating apparently is a lot like riding a bike. I'm not saying I didn't wobble a bit, but I managed to quickly get up to speed, then picked up speed and even negotiated a couple of slow twirls. Even more surprising, I didn't go down once -- no bruises, no swelling.

Best part of the day: Five third-graders giggly and fearless even when they fell -- especially when the fell. They got right back up and kept going. They held each others' hands. They laughed at themselves. They ignored the cold. They were so in the moment, and into the moment.

Lovely setting, too ... surrounded by Mahoney State Park's rolling, snow-covered plains.

Anyone want in on a post-New Year outing? I'm dying to go back.

--------------

In more adult entertainment: I've spent the past few days indulging a new addiction.

Insomnia, uncured by books, drove me to iTunes in search of something mindless to download and watch in bed. Right away I found a show I'd kept hearing about and had avoided because I knew I'd get hooked right away.

That's right. I'm addicted to "Weeds."

The first taste wasn't free, but it was only $1.99. After that, though, I had to buy my own bag -- the entire first season. For season two, I managed to mooch off Miz Amy.

But now my whole stash is gone. I went through two seasons in three days. And my next fix is nowhere in sight.

No worries, though. I can quit anytime I want.

7 comments:

pohl said...

Synchronicity, dude. I just burned through 2 seasons
of weed over the last two weeks.

I can quit whenever I want, too.

Do you know how to score the 3rd season?

pohl said...

...ahem..."Weeds", that is.

Lincoln Writer said...

My sources won't divulge the date of the next drop. If you come across some Season 3, hook a sister up, willya?

Anonymous said...

I don't think insomnia is ever cured by reading. Crocheting, maybe.

Anonymous said...

I've got season three of Weeds. I will burn you a copy but it will cost you a coffee or beer date sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

I love skating.
WL

Lincoln Writer said...

Meleeska: SCORE!!! Repayment in music to come ...

WL: Woohoo! Let's go!