Thursday, May 8, 2008

Twende pamoja!

I've set up a new blog for Tanzania:

http://twende-pamoja.blogspot.com/


I'll make some additions and start posting on it in the next few days. May still post here occasionally, especially before I leave. But the new blog is for a more general audience.

What a productive Wednesday: Bought a good pair of quick-drying pants; found two options for selling bad karma jewelry from various exes; chatted with an agronomist at UNL; proseltyzed to a couple of Huddle's students who are interested in PC; and maybe, maybe found a solar setup that is not only efficient but highly affordable! Need to talk with my resident computer geeks and call the company to check it out further, but thanks to my friend Melinda and her computer geeks for finding me this option.

A volunteer already in TZ advises me that as an environmental volunteer I'll be known as a "mental." As if I'm not already!

Only two more days in the newsroom, which seems surreal. I really don't feel emotional about leaving. Don't think I'll be back this time.

Looking forward to the next two weeks of packing up my life, then a quick trip to Tucson, road trip home w/Miz K, and a few days to move everything into storage, solve any last-minute problems, and kiss each of you goodbye.

Mark your calendars for Billy Bacon and the Forbidden Pigs on Friday, June 6. And/or, depending on when I leave, Saturday the 7th. But no shots!

Currently reading: Building Soils for Better Crops (second edition), Fred Magdoff and Harold Van Es

4 comments:

Gene said...

Agronomy? That's the department I work in!

Lincoln Writer said...

Shoot ... if I'd known, I'd have looked you up! I came in yesterday to meet with Chuck Francis. What a lovely spirit! A mutual friend connected us, and he readily weighed me down with reading material and contacts in-country.

Didn't know you were in agronomy. Maybe I should be chatting you up as well. I'm more than a little intimidated by my looming assignment ... let me buy you a beer sometime?

Gene said...

Actually, I'm in the business office here in the Agronomy department, but if you do need any help let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Chuck Francis is a wonderful person who is doing some great and generous work.

If you need to reach anyone out here feel free to email me at gthogan (at) gmail (dot) com.

Best of luck to you!

Gene said...

You might be casually interested in this. Here's a proposal Chuck is applying for.

http://www.sare.org/ncrsare/resedu.htm

Good luck in the Peace Corp. It sounds like things might be going your way now. We need more people like you!