Thursday, January 3, 2008

The big sendoff.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." — Andre Gide


My doctor called today. The biopsy, as she expected, showed absolutely nothing. She faxed over the lab report -- the final missing piece of paper for my Peace Corps medical packet.

After all the rushing and cajoling and organizing and angstifying over the past couple of months, it felt a bit anticlimactic to seal the envelope and drop it in the mail this evening. Nothing to do now but wait a couple months or so.

Meanwhile, I'm immersed in books about AIDS in Africa and about the Peace Corps life in general, and so already I have a new topic to obsess over: Can I really do this? The bucket baths, the lack of electricity, the complete lack of privacy, the biting of tongue when cultures clash, the wondering whether I'm really making a difference ...

Do I really have any idea what I'm getting myself into?

I'm sure I don't ... but I'm naively looking forward to the adventure ...

------------

Obama in Iowa!

Things just started to get interesting ...

------------

Who, I wonder, is my new friend in Waukesha, Wisconsin???

------------

Currently reading: "Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village," Sarah Erdman

Currently hearing: "Pop-Pop!," Rickie Lee Jones

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Lincoln--check out www.peacecorpswriters.org and send me something to publish. Thanks.
John Coyne

Bryon Houlgrave said...

I'm glad that everything is going through for you, despite the angstifying. :-)

Bryon Houlgrave
Your new friend in Waukesha, Wisconsin

(I found your blog while reading comments on Mike McNamara's blog a couple weeks ago).

vmh said...

I am thrilled about the biopsy results. Excellent!

Vicky

Anonymous said...

Whew! I was just thinking of your Peace Corps application just this morning. Glad to hear everything is good to go.

Yeh, Obama in Iowa. I'm anxious to see where that leads.

Later, lady!
MMcK

Krista said...

wooohoooo! wish i was there to hear the sigh of relief as that large packet went kurplunk into the mailbox! congrats on the biopsy results. and onward to New Hampshire!

Lincoln Writer said...

Thanks, y'all! I'm feelin' the love ...

BlankPhotog said...

Congratulations! Yes you CAN do it! And... you will do a fantastic job, and will have an adventure you will never forget at the very least!

Anonymous said...

Excellent news all around! I'll be in Lincoln this week to take you out for a celebratory beer.

Jill McNamara said...

i know i already told you, but i'll post it here in blogland for all perpetuity. CONGRATS!