Sunday, January 13, 2008

"... and the days keep rolling along ..."

1.

One little snippet of Peace Corps news: I've already received my dental clearance! My dad (who's also my dentist) will be so proud.

That's the easy, and speedy, part of PC medical approval. Don't expect to hear anything else anytime soon.


2.

Don't you love those episodes when it seems as if the universe sends you exactly what you need exactly when you need it? They sneak in, overshadowing the far vaster series of moments in which things just don't work out that way.

Last week, my real-estate agent came by to talk about selling my house. The short story: Thanks to a flattened market, a bit of financial recklessness on my part (actually using a home-equity line I was strong-armed into at the point of purchase), the brief time I've owned the place and -- mostly -- the realtor fees, right now I would get back about 40 percent of my down payment. I spent the rest of the day in a state of shock.

The next day, I ran into a friend/coworker in the ladies' room. "I dreamt of you last night," she said. "I dreamt that instead of selling your house, you rented it to my brother instead."

I hadn't wanted to even consider renting instead of selling ... didn't want to worry about what I couldn't possibly control/manage from half a world away. But if I were to rent, said brother is one of about half a dozen people I can actually envision inking a deal with. A master carpenter with a proven devotion to older homes. Hmmm...

If that doesn't work out, another possibility emerges. My sister-in-law says her mother is contemplating buying a few rental properties, with sis-in-law acting as property manager. Her mom's a lawyer, so we could avoid the realtor fees.

And if that doesn't work out, a couple of other trustworthy friends have expressed interest. I'm encouraged enough to feel sure that, one way or another, I won't lose what's left of my life savings.

Truth is, even the worst-case scenario would be worth the life change to me. I suppose that says everything.


3.

As if I weren't hemorrhaging money enough, I had an epiphany of my own last week. I've been dreading the thought of having to wear glasses for the next two years -- they're clunky and accident-prone, and I don't see with them nearly as well as with contacts. Yet I understand why PC frowns on contacts -- sanitary safety would be, at best, difficult to maintain.

Wouldn't it be great, I thought one morning as I woke and squinted to read the 2-inch LCD letters six inches from my face, if I could just suddenly acquire 20-2o vision?

So I've made an appointment for a Lasik consultation. Not sure I'm a good candidate, but I think it's worth looking into. If you have a Lasik story to share -- good or bad, yours or your SO's or your brother's friend or sheer rumor -- bring it on.

------------

Currently reading: "The Village of Waiting," by George Packer

Currently hearing: "Life is Sweet," Maria McKee

4 comments:

vmh said...

Crossing my fingers for your house situation.

I haven't heard any bad Lasik stories, but I have heard from several people that your night vision goes afterwards. Enough to have to wear glasses while driving at night, stuff like that.

One of my husband's students had it done, and he wished he could have done it sooner. He was thrilled with his new vision.

Anonymous said...

Come talk to me about lasik. There are some things you need to know.

Anonymous said...

I had Lasik seven years ago. It's one of the best things that's ever happened to me.

--Nealy

Anonymous said...

My sister had the surgery last summer before her wedding - instant 20/20. I was hoping for similar results this fall but due to thin corneas, I'm not a good candidate. I could go for RK but that's more complicated so I'm not interested. At least I tried!

My sister went to the Lincoln Eye & Laser Institute.

Nic :)