Monday, July 14, 2008

Music, man.

Amy and I indulged in a bit of cultural whiplash on Saturday evening. First, we took her young’uns to “The Music Man” at Pinewood Bowl. I’m not a fan of the theater … especially local productions … most especially musicals … and “The Music Man” is right at the bottom of the genre, as far as I’m concerned.

But we had such a great time. In my 20 years in Lincoln, I’ve never done the Pinewood Bowl thing, so it was nice to cross that off my life list before I leave. It’s a gorgeous setting, everyone’s friendly and laid-back, and the company couldn’t be beat.

We ducked out as the actors were taking their bows, rushed the kids off to a sleepover, and Amy and I managed to get down to the Zoo Bar’s outdoor anniversary block party in time to hear half a dozen of the Self-Righteous Brothers’ greatest hits. They still put on a kick-ass show … their classic cover of “She’s a Lady,” the originals “Candy” and “Have Fun With Your Penis,” and a thumping version of “Billie Jean.” I want Mr. Righteous and Sonny Righteous to teach me how to dance. I want the band to get back together.



Books, not bombs.

Nicholas Kristof’s oped column Sunday referenced Greg Mortenson, subject of the book I just finished (see my Goodreads review), “Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Fight Terrorism and Build Nations ... One School at a Time.” It’s a pretty startling juxtaposition: Bush promises $10 billion (so far) to Pakistan so its military will stay friends with our military, so we can keep bombing the hell out of families, schools and communities in the name of “fighting terror.” Mortenson hasn’t a fraction of the military complex budget, yet he’s well on his way to transforming society in rural Pakistan by building schools so everyone can get an education and not feel the need to resort to terror.

Who would you rather have in charge?


He's not really a girl, and he doesn't really talk. Well, he kind of raps.

My new summer soundtrack is “Feed the Animals” by Girl Talk, aka Gregg Gillis. He’s like the William Rice Burroughs of mixmasters, pouring out a plethora of pop favorites from the ‘60s through the aughts, cutting them up and mashing them back together into something brilliant. If you think Salt N’ Pepa, Deee-Lite, the Traveling Wilburys, Nirvana, Earth Wind and Fire and the Beach Boys (and more) can’t be combined into a brilliantly danceable new single, then you haven’t heard Girl Talk.

Quote of the week:

"Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter!"
-- "President" George Bush on leaving the G8 summit where next to no agreement was reached on the need to adapt to the climate change crisis.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/2277298/President-George-Bush-'Goodbye-from-the-world's-biggest-polluter'.html#continue

4 comments:

BlankPhotog said...

"Just say no" to world-saving 11th hour statesmanship!

Gene said...

Jeeeeeeez, I had almost forgotten he said that "world's biggest polluter" line.

Anonymous said...

Yeay! I've finally caught up on all of your postings. I'd say more, but I'm digesting it all :)

-Nealy

Chris Blackwood said...

I will certainly send you a copy of the Tdad Times, although you must promise to go easy on the criticisim...thus far I only have 3completed articles from the students, and no pictures. Getting the kids to do anything in the summer is like pulling teeth, but inchallah we will have our first copy done within 2 weeks(our newest deadline).

The winter season starts around mid October and continues until about mid March, at which point there is about a week of "spring" until summer hits. The good news is PC pays for a heater!

I did not learn any Darija before comming. I had no idea weather I would be learning Darija or one of the 3 Berber dialects, so I just waited to get here to find out. However, studying Darija beforehand will definitly lead to decreased amounts of awkwardness for the first homestay, which consists of A LOT of staring weird silences.

Good luck packing!