Friday, April 18, 2008

The road to Tanzania.

For anyone I forgot to email earlier today (and, if I did, shoot me your address so I can add you to the list!):

After six long months, my Peace Corps invitation packet came this morning.

I’m going to Tanzania!

Not that I had any say in it, but if they'd asked me where I wanted to go, Tanzania would have been first on my list.

While the application process seemed to drag on for so long, suddenly things are coming to a head far too quickly! My group will have a few days of orientation here in the U.S. starting June 8, then arrive in Tanzania on June 12 for three months of training with my fellow volunteers before leaving for my site.

I’ll be a village-based extension educator, working in environmental education and sustainable agriculture. (Yes, life in an African village means pit latrines, bucket baths and no electricity – but I’ll get a mountain bike for transportation.) I’ll also be working on HIV/AIDS prevention and education. My head is already overflowing with project ideas, but I know I need to get to my site and get a feel for what the village really needs before embarking on any specitific plan.

Tanzania, in eastern Africa, is home to Mount Kilimanjaro, Lake Victoria and the Serengeti. The capital, Dar es Salaam, is on the coast of the Indian Ocean. The country shares borders with Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique.

I’m only just beginning to learn about the country myself. Here are some Web sites for basic info on Tanzania:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tz.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanzania

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/tanzania/

I’ll be busy in the coming weeks, but I really want to make sure to spend as much time as possible with my friends and loved ones. Many of you have been critical in helping me get this far, and I want to soak up as much of you as I can. So drag me away from packing up my books, and make me take you out for a beer!

Namaste, peace and love to all ...

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Too cool!
You're the best.

Love,
MMcK

Anonymous said...

I hope it's okay that I forwarded your email to Bruce because we still keep in touch sporadically and he always thought you awesome. He said in a reply email to "tell Becki that I admire what she's doing and hope that it goes well for her." Also, "tell Becki to take care and to tell me all about her trip when she gets back. I hope that you guys keep in touch, she's really cool and you two are good people."

Miz N. from O.

Christie said...

That is so exciting! You must be so happy to know where you're going to be and what you'll be doing.

I can't wait until I have my invitation in hand!

Best,
Christie

the Juggler said...

hey becki... i was driving today and thinking about your post. i remember my cousin asking me, after he'd returned from Nigeria, when i was 11 years old, if i had things that i wanted to send to Africa. he said that people in Africa liked things with writing on them, especially t-shirts with writing. that was 23 years ago. could be, things changed.

hope this helps and finds you well.

if you want to take it, have room. i have a "Red & Cup" t-shirt, from the Bread & Cup, worn only a few times, i'd gladly donate to send. it's perty.