Sunday, April 8, 2007

At long last -- Nigeria

-- edited for content --

The package on Nigeria is the 1A centerpiece in today's Journal Star. If you don't subscribe to the hard copy, you can check it out here.

And with only one comment so far, already a hater.

------------

By coincidence, today's Journal Star also includes a review of Betty Levitov's new book, "Africa on Six Wheels: A Semester on Safari." Of course, it's just given me another travel bugbite. A place she mentions in Malawi is especially tempting.

Time to get serious about what happens next. I feel like I'm stagnating under the status quo.

------------

Thought of the day:

"I've always felt that to be fully alive is to imagine possibilities and act on ideas, and that to back away from one thing results in a cycle of backing up and spiraling down. The backing up and hesitations become gradual stops until one is immobilized -- intellectually and physically. If bravery is something other than fearlessness, rather a commitment to imagination and action -- risk and fear part of the package -- I can claim to be brave."

-- Betty Levitov, "Africa on Six Wheels: A Semester on Safari"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just read Nigeria -- so interesting, and it flows easily to include a lot of information without turning into a history lesson. I really felt like I learned something about a country I know little about, and I'll definitely be following in the future.

You wrote your pants off, baby! Good work!

vmh said...

Congrats! And a very impressive article too.
Vicky

Anonymous said...

Haters are good, too. Many times they are ignorant people, but the fact that your article made them think enough that they had to respond is really a compliment.

If I wasn't moving soon (wherever that will be), I was going to go to Malawi this summer.

Anonymous said...

In photography we have a saying, mantra, philosophy: If you didn't piss of a reader, you didn't do your job.

William

BlankPhotog said...

Whoever's monitoring the replies is being really aggressive. I posted one earlier today (favorable) and it didn't appear.

Excellent work! :)

Lincoln Writer said...

That's strange -- usually it takes a pretty flagrant f-bomb to get a comment deleted. Wonder if there's something wrong??

But thanks, all of you -- you are each so talented and creative yourselves, and so your praise means a great deal to me indeed!

Adrian Olivera said...

Have you ever thought about writing on something like this: http://www.ushmm.org/conscience/alert/darfur/contents/01-overview/

Lincoln Writer said...

If I ever find, apply for and win a grant to visit Darfur, then I am so there! (That's how I got to Nigeria.)

Actually, though, back in October we did run a pretty big package on the genocide in Darfur. A similiar (better, actually, as it was by *real* foreign correspondents) two-page spread, plus the entire cover of 1A.

I run stories on Darfur whenever our wire services move them. Unfortunately, it's so difficult/dangerous for journalists to even get into the region -- that's why there's not nearly enough coverage. Another genocide that, like Rwanda, we likely won't really know about until it's over -- however that comes about. Heartbreaking, isn't it?