Monday, March 17, 2008

Peace in the Mideast ... when?

Meant to make note of yesterday being the fifth anniverary of Rachel Corrie's death, mowed down by an Israeli military bulldozer while serving as a human shield, trying to Palestinians' homes from destruction in the Gaza Strip. I just finished reading her journals, from childhood until a few days before she died.

------------

And, of course, Wednesday is the fifth anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq. That makes it four years and two months after "Mission Accomplished."

If you wish to mark this sad milestone:

Who: Nebraska Coalition for Peace, Nebraskans for Peace
What: 5th Anniversary of the Iraq War - Anti-war/Peace Vigil to remind us that 5 years is too many years of the U.S. invasion/occupation of Iraq
Where: Corner of 16th and "O" Street, Lincoln, NE, near the Federal Building
When: Wednesday, March 19, 2008, 5-6:00 p.m.
Program: We will be solemnly reading the names of the fallen, both U.S. soldiers and Iraqis
Contact: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskacoalitionforpeace

------------

And in nearby Afghanistan, here's what President Bush told U.S. troops last week (via Democracy Now):

“If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed. ... It must be exciting for you … in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You’re really making history. And thanks.”

------------

PC update: Got an email over the weekend asking for an update on my volunteer work with Nebraska AIDS Project -- which means they're considering where to place me ... and, hopefully, that I indeed will be working on HIV issues. My placement officer's assistant was enthusiastic about the info I provided -- the amount of time I spend volunteering and especially the fact that I'm certified to do HIV testing. She said I can expect to hear back from my P.O. in two to four weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you noticed how many different things PC stands for?

I'd love to send Bush into battle.

BlankPhotog said...

I can think of hundreds of hot spots that would benefit from Bush's attendance.

Romantic... laughable.