Friday, September 28, 2007

"The purpose of freedom is to free someone else."

-- Toni Morrison

(BBC photo)

Easy things you can do to show the world is watching the military's treatment of the people of Burma/Myanmar:

Sign this petition that will be sent to the United Nations.

If you're on Facebook, join the group to Support the Monks' Protest in Burma.

And if you're in Lincoln, Nebraskans for Peace is sponsoring a vigil Saturday at 5 p.m. at 15th & O streets.


I melt(down) with you:

Ryan Adams has meltdown at Minneapolis concert


Love your songwriting, Ryan, but get a grip -- read the above to see what's really worth melting down over.


Out of the (trash) bag

NPR/Marketplace is launching a series on our unsustainable (in so many senses of the world) consumer economy. Cohost Tess Vigeland has been hauling her own garbage around for a week, drawing attention to the humongoid pile of waste each of us creates, every single day. You can join the trash challenge, if you dare. I have to admit I don't.


Quote of the day:

"I think the easiest way to lose something is to want it too badly."

-- John Dorian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I must say that I am inspired by the monks in Myanmar, yet it makes me feel stagnant and complacent.

The trash thing makes me sad that people around here don't recycle. How can you live so close to the beauty of the ocean and not recycle. I'm still brainstorming what to do about the whole situation.

And that quote leaves me thinking.

BlankPhotog said...

I saw the video stills of the Japanese photojournalist trying to take pictures as he lay dying in the streets of Myanmar... quite powerful and terrible. Made me want to become a photojournalist, as have many of the pix coming out of that country.